As announced by the Federal Government, from the 25th of July 2020, the Third Mainland Bridge will be partially closed for maintenance — which is expected to last for 6 months.
The plan laid out by the government indicates that only one lane will be in use and will only accept traffic heading from Oworonshoki to Lagos Island (Mainland to Island) between the hours of 12:00 a.m-12:00 p.m.
Consequently, this lane will take Lagos Island to Oworonshoki (Island to Mainland) traffic from 1:00 p.m-12:00 a.m.
While the government has laid out phasing plans and alternative routes, please prepare for possible delays when planning your day as this is a major transport artery in the city.
To ensure the free flow of traffic during this period, the alternative routes to be used by motorists during this period are as follows:
In the morning
- Motorists heading towards Ikeja and Ikorodu Road from Osborne Road, Ikoyi are to make use of Carter Bridge to access Eko Bridge through Ijora Olopa. This will lead them through Funsho Williams Avenue to Doman Long Bridge to Ikorodu. Otherwise, follow Carter Bridge to Iddo through Oyingbo to Herbert Macaulay to Jibowu and link Ikorodu Road.
- Motorists coming from Victoria Island are advised to utilise Ozumba Mbadiwe Road to Falomo Bridge through Alfred Rewane to Old Kingsway Road, Osborne to Ilubirin and Carter Bridge.
- The second option that motorists are advised to take is Bonny Camp to Independence Bridge to Marina Bridge through Apongbon to Eko Bridge, Ijora Olopa, Iddo and Oyingbo.
In the afternoon
- Road users inbound Lagos Island are advised to use Ojota on Ikorodu road to access Funsho Williams Avenue through Eko Bridge/Apongbon axis or to utilise Ikorodu road to access Fadeyi/Jibowu/Yaba axis to access Oyingbo-Iddo to Carter Bridge.
- Motorists can use Oshodi/Charity through Agege Motor Road to access Cappa to link Ilupeju bypass or Mushin to get to Town Planning Way to link Ikorodu Road.
- Motorists could also access Moshalasi/Idi-Oro from Mushin to access Funsho Williams Avenue and connect Eko Bridge to get to Apongbon or use Empire Road to access Yaba to link Oyingbo-Iddo axis.
- Motorists coming from the International Airport to Lagos are advised to use Oshodi-Oke to get to Town Planning Way, to link Ikorodu road
Bolt drivers have been made aware of the alternative routes they can use so please feel free to discuss the best option with your driver.